Thursday, June 2, 2016

Taylor Swift Book Tag!

I have been unable to finish two blog drafts so I decided to do a book tag. It has been more than a month since my last post so I am doing this one to keep my idle hands busy.

Taylor Swift Book Tag!


For those new to book blogging like I am, a book tag is a series of questions and the answers correspond to a type of book. Thanks to becoming bookish for the info and for the idea for my first book tag which is a Taylor Swift Book Tag. The T Swift book tag was started in a booktube in youtube by The Book of Life.

So, here we go. Press play!

1. We are Never Ever Getting Back Together

(A book or series that you were pretty sure that you were in love with, but then wanted to break up with)

The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. Oh, I love Rick Riordan, especially the Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus series, but the Red Pyramid and its two succeeding book are enough for me for Egyptian mythology. I love reading the books but it never gave me the same feeling I got when I read the two other series--which was a longing for the next book and a hope that the series will never end. Also, because I was never familiar with the Egyptian gods and deities. For this one, I was thankful that it ended. No more hoping.



2. Red

(Pick a book with red on the cover)

The first thing that came to mind that has a red cover -- Fablehaven  Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull. It is the fifth and last book of the fantasy series. The series makes me feel like a child again, meeting a lot of mythical creatures like the revenant and the brownies. The story also takes you to dangerous adventures across multiple countries in the quest to make sure that mythical creatures are safe and the security of the sanctuaries where they thrive are kept secret.



3. The Best Day

(Pick a book that makes you feel nostalgic)

I would pick The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I read the book when I was very discouraged and was in the early years of adulting. I was trying to figure out what I would do next after not passing the board exam. Oh, how I would love to become a child again when nothing else matters but play. This book helped me got out of that depression and realize that some things are just not meant to be and there are better things in store for me.




4. Love Story

(Pick a book with forbidden love)

The very obvious choice for me is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and The Mortal Instruments City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Everyone knows the love story of Bella and Edward. Beware with falling in love with a vampire. Then, there's Clary and Jace, who are supposed to be both fathered by Valentine, the evil shadow master. What's more forbidden than falling in love with your brother?



5. I Knew You Were Trouble

(Pick a book with a bad character you couldn't help but love)

It would be Amy of Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I hate her that she is so vicious and cunning at the same time.




6. Innocent 

(Pick a book that somebody ruined the end for you)

My friends have read this book and have talked about how they enjoyed it. Unlucky for me, I was the last one to read it. I pretty much know the gist of the story but then again, it was still fun reading it. Giggles!




7. Everything Has Changed

(Pick a character who goes through extensive character development)

Definitely Violet in Amy Tan's The Valley of Amazement. It is a sad story of an American girl who became a first-class courtesan in Shanghai in the 1900's out of necessity. Tragically, her daughter had to become one also in order to survive.





8. You Belong With Me

(Pick your most anticipated book release)

I am dying to read the sixth book of George R. R. Martin's The Song of Fire and Ice series (more popularly know as Game of Thrones) The Winds of Winter. There is no definite date yet of when the book would be released or if it has been finished. As of May 2016, Martin has not finished the book yet. There is still a seventh book which is  A Dream of Spring.

Come on George, please get it moving.



9. Forever and Always

(Pick your favorite book couple)

This is probably the hardest question. I have no idea. I have read a lot of books and have known a lot of really inspiring stories.

Percy and Annabeth would probably be the top of the list since their story is not the typical. Theirs is definitely the-you-and-me-against-the-monsters-and-the-Titans. Their bonding is to go on a quest and their dates involve battling monsters together to save the world.

I have always been fascinated with mythology and reading the Percy Jackson series has reminded me of that.



10. Come Back, Be Here

(Pick the book you would least like to lend out, for fear of missing it too much)

Dorothy Gilman was the author I would love to meet in person (God rest her soul). Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha was the first of the many mystery books that I got hooked on. Mrs. Pollifax is my favorite heroine, she became a spy in her 60's. Bad ass, right? She loves gardening and has a black belt in Karate. I enjoyed all of her adventures and her uncanny way of getting out of very deadly situations. This book was included in a Reader's Digest Condensed Books edition and I am wary of lending out condensed books for they are like priceless treasures to me. Particularly now that digital copies are the trend.




11. Teardrops On My Guitar

(Pick a book that made you cry a lot)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, an Afghan-American author. This was the first book I read of his works and I was balling my eyes out. It made me realize that a lot of people suffered because of the war in Afghanistan. Like all other nations, Afghanistan is torn by religious and political differences. Muslims fight against themselves. The book speaks of the sufferings and abuse Afghan women and children had to go through just to survive. This book made me see Afghanistan in a new light.


12. Shake It Off

(Pick a book that you love so much, you just shake off the haters)

According to the 25 most-hated books by the Book Riot Readers, Twilight is the most popular (#1 on the list) but hated book. The site did not mention as to the reason why. I'd say, to each, her own. I love the book and there was a time when I also wished I have an Edward Cullen. Who didn't?



Thanks T!

For those who would want to do a book tag, go make one and you can use this tag too. Next one I plan to do would be a pasta book tag which I got from nerdy talks, who is a friend of mine (a sister of a very close friend). There are a lot of other book tags out there. You can check out booktube for more. I have seen a Disney book tag too. Hmmmmm... I love Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment