Monday, October 9, 2017

A Year of Light and Shadows by Helena Fairfax | A Book Review

A Year of Light and Shadows by Helena Fairfax | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

This has been on my TBR for quite a while and honestly, I might have forgotten about this. Good thing I realized that I had a few author review requests that I have not gotten to yet. I went to check my email and this was one of the ones that turned up. 

This book reminds me of the Prince and Me. Simply because of story about some still existing royalty in Europe. In this story, the main character--Lizzie, was asked to impersonate a princess. To pretend and act like her until the coronation is done. Since she is an actress, it will not be hard for her to play the part. All the other aspects of the impersonation will be taken care of the members of the royal household. 

So, Lizzie did what was required of her only to find out that she was conned. The real reason for the subterfuge was not what she thought it was. If she had known, she would not have agreed to the proposal, even if the pay was very good. The only good thing out of the whole experience was Leon, the bodyguard. 

Yes, this sounds like the movie The Bodyguard. The girl falls in love with her bodyguard as the case with Lizzie. It was probably because, it was only Leon who was true to her while she was pretending to be the princess. Add in the fact that it was Leon who protected and saved her from almost getting killed. Good job Leon!

I am not sure if the curse about the Macbeth play is also true to all other theater groups. Oops! Am I not supposed to say that word too? Anyway, the supposed curse was playing havoc among the minds of Lizzie and the rest of the production crew. And then, there is this matter of the Scottish Diamond. I find this part of the story very clever. I really enjoyed the unraveling of the mystery of the diamonds. 

I give this book 4/5 tiaras. I did enjoy this story. Especially the part about the diamonds. It was nicely done. I actually felt bad for not reading this soon. I am looking forward to reading more stories from the same author. 



The ending was good enough for me. And it made sense too, since it seemed that Leon has a talent for storytelling. Leon deserved to find something good for himself without the shadow of his past always following him around. The ending wrapped the three-part story neatly. No objections from me there.

Just hand over the chocolate and back away slowly.
- Helena Fairfax, A Year of Light and Shadows -  





No comments:

Post a Comment