Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Dangerous Secrets by Melanie Paige | A Book Review

Dangerous Secrets by Melanie Paige | A Book Review by iamntoabookworm!


Happy New Year everyone! 

It's been about three weeks since my last review. Yes, I too was busy during the holidays and also because I also started a new online job last December. That took a lot of time from my reading and of course, writing reviews. I'm still trying to find the best way, in order to be able to reach my quota and still get to read books after each shift. But nevertheless, I am happy to be busy and earning without having to commute and getting stressed with being caught in traffic, but I also missed talking to people face to face and meeting new friends. 

Anyway, I will continue to keep up with work and at the same time, read and post reviews. My reviews to be written have started to pile up and I hope it doesn't get as high as my TBR. My wish for 2018, since resolutions are so overrated, to continue to meet new authors and be introduced to new characters and stories and discover new worlds. My real life is shaping up better and I am optimistic that great things are in store for me this year. And I guess, a part of the strength to survive 2017 came from the stories that had came my way. Without them, I am not sure where I would be honestly. So, to all the authors, publishers and the book gods, thank you and may a lot more people join our lifestyle.

My first review for 2018 is Dangerous Secrets. I read this last month but as I have said, I had my hands full and was having a hard time trying to squeeze in some reading time, harder still to sit down and write a review. I know you all share the same sentiment. 

I got this book through Instagram in August of last year. Yes, you don't have to state the obvious. It took me 4 months after to get to the book and then another month to review. Yes. I am embarrassed to admit but I am falling way behind on my review requests. That's why, I just try to make it up on my reviews. I make sure that they're as objective and as honest as possible. And here it comes.

This is my first time to read a book of this author. Honestly, I haven't met the author until she sent me a DM on Instagram. Thank the book gods for that. The title would suggest some mysterious story or a thriller plot line. Yes, in a way those elements are in the story but it has a lot more than that. I think I read the blurb, but when I started reading the book I have forgotten what the book was about. And that often happens to me. I often forgot what the blurb was and that would add to the excitement and the curiosity which helps set the mood for me at the beginning of the story. The same happened for this book. I didn't know that I would meet very interesting characters in here. To be honest, when you realize the type of creatures that are in this book, you will probably think of Twilight. Yes, vampires and werewolves. But, Twilight never once came to mind when I was reading the story. It only came to me now, while drafting this review. The similarities between Twilight and Dangerous Secrets stopped at vampires and werewolves. Just that.

Until now, just reading the title, the first thing that still comes to mind is a mystery and a thriller story. It's the title. It conveys that kind of message but when you read the book, you will be surprised that it's a totally different kind of danger and secrets that it was referring too. I love it. I love that it somehow, not really mislead, but it's not obvious also. It's subtle. In truth, the title sums up what the story is about. It fits but it also makes anyone curious. I know, I often talk about how the titles of books appear to me. It has become my thing to scrutinize and judge the title. How it makes me feel? Did it impress me? It's always the first thing that anyone notices aside from the cover. But to me, the title is the biggest thing because in just a few words, it has to convince me or anyone to pick it up and burrow into its contents. And I think, this title did the job.

The story revolves around Jennifer Anderson's life and her sister Hayley. They were just orphaned. Their parents died in a car accident and it was up to Jennifer now to support her sister and herself. Jennifer's life was mostly centered on Hayley and how to make ends meet until the King brothers moved in across the street. From here on, their lives will never ever be the same again. Not ever.

This is a classic example of curiosity killed the cat. Here, it almost went that way. Hayley's weird curiosity and suspicion about the new neighbors brought about the unexpected change in her and Jennifer's life. And those changes were really overwhelming. Literally, life-changing at it's best. Jennifer is literally and figuratively, the epicenter of this whole influx of new information and truths about her family and her parents. If I were Jennifer, it would have been amazing to find out that there's more to me and that I still have family out there. That they were not alone. They still have relatives alive but the way the truths were revealed, was just not the best timing. And same with anyone else's normal reaction when confronted with the truth, Jen was more confused and overwhelmed. Good thing, we have Aidan to the rescue. 

The revelations in the story came in stages. Not everything was revealed at once in one go which is what I liked. I never thought installments would be good but it was so done nicely here that you can't help but kept being surprised every time a new revelation is dished out. I never expected each one. Honestly, nothing is obvious at all in this story, except, the thing about Jen and Aidan. Other than that, I could not anticipate any of the next scenes or chapters. I lived the story page after page. I was drawn in chapter by chapter as the whole story was given to me in piecemeal. And I enjoyed every second of it. It was not done in a one-time-big-time-grand-explosion-kind-of-thing but it was done with great care, precision and absolute unexpected suspense. I had no idea how the story will turn out but I was just happy where it took me. I enjoyed the ride.

Each character had a mystery to them. As the story unravels, the characters are bared out little by little. Each one has a hidden secret but you will never suspect it. Each character is introduced with mystery surrounding them but very subtle that it seems not there at all. It was definitely a surprise when that mystery was uncovered. It was just like that for me. I was astounded to find the hidden connections of one character to the other. Each character, no matter how small,  was given a scene where s/he was the center, which doesn't really happen in a lot of books. Each character was given her/his moment, although, a moment could mean not really something grand but rather a chance to be able to get a better understanding of that character. I liked that part of the book too.

Because I really enjoyed the story, I give it 4/5 bags of animal blood. I'm not trying to be disgusting but the whole story jumped off from this thing, so I feel it's just fitting. I look forward to reading the next book and the other stories from the same author. I am pleased to meet you Miss Melanie Paige and I am so thankful for you for reaching out to me in Instagram and be given the opportunity to read your book. I am all in this with Jen and the King Brothers. I want to take down the hunters too. Disband them and destroy them all. I also love the historical background of the story. How this war between hunters and the supernatural beings started is a very solid and well-thought out foundation for the story. Good job on that one! I am looking forward to get to know more of the King brothers. I am not sure yet if I liked Aidan the most or Elliot. I like brooding, responsible, and dependable guys but I also like smart IT and creative techie guys. I hope the next book will help me with that.



I have lived a very long time, seen wars begin and end throughout history, both supernatural and human. The thing is, it doesn't matter who the last one standing is, because in the end, no one truly wins a war.
- Melanie Paige, Dangerous Secrets -



Thank you again, Melanie Paige for the copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment