Wednesday, April 18, 2018

War of the Ashers (The Petros Chronicles #2) by Diana Tyler | An ARC | A Book Review

War of the Ashers (The Petros Chronicles #2) by Diana Tyler | An ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I got a very upsetting news yesterday. The worst part is I was rendered helpless by the situation. I can't do anything about it. I have no recourse. All I wanted to do was to lash out and hurt someone. I wanted to claw out someone's face, or twist someone's arm or just hit something just to get the frustration out. But I didn't get to do any of that. I had to channel that bad energy to my work online. But not after I gave the person a piece of my mind. Actually a feedback that's worth a novel in length and it wasn't enough because the person I sent it to was just a point of contact. Just a messenger and wasn't even responsible for the whole debacle. I'm thinking of posting that distressing incident here, just so people will know what an unfair thing it was. I haven't decided yet. I'm not sure if it's even worth the effort. What I really want is to have a direct line to that person/people who were responsible for that insensitive, unprofessional and lack of integrity to answer to what I have to say. Maybe, if I really really dig hard enough, I would find them. The internet holds a lot of information and I think now a days, nothing is sacred or too private if you're just persistent and patient enough. But I don't think I need to do that. I don't want to appear like some crazed and disgruntled person, though I really want to go crazy and run amok because of the helplessness. I wish that whatever they did will come back to them and bite their ass really really hard. Like chomp on it with all the fury of a rabid dog. That's how pissed I am with what happened. If only I could declare war or maybe just boycott that organization, if that's even possible. I think boycott is not too far out. Hmmm. Sounds like a plan. Disclaimer: I have never done something too outrageous or gone ballistic before. I am not a confrontational person. Although I had a few moments of acting out of character or what I call temporary madness, I haven't done anything that's bordering on psychotic. This is just me thinking out loud. If only and how I wish my words have power.

So, speaking of war, War of the Ashers is the second book in The Petros Chronicles. In the this installment, Chloe and her brother have gotten to know more about their powers and have explored more of it. They learned how their powers work and the extent of what it can do. A lot of things happened in here. Like the first book, Chloe has to travel. In book one, it was to the underworld and this time she has to do journey into another world to discover more about her destiny and how she can save Petros. This time, there's a reunion with her brother and story explores the relationship between the twins. A lot of background stories about other characters were doled out in this book also. Most of all, the story behind the unbeatable force that Chloe has to stop in order to save Petros--Mania. There were a lot of stunning surprises and revelations too.

As I have said, a lot of things happened in this second installment but I wasn't in any way confused. The events were clearly done and I think I really enjoyed this book more than the first. Things are getting clearer and clearer. It's now very clear what Chloe had to do in order to save Petros. There were a lot of traveling to places and between time periods which was very interesting. I think this installment gave out a lot of background stories which give the readers a better understanding of the events that lead to the present and how some very unlikely and unassuming characters were very significant. 

One of the things that I liked in this installment is more things were revealed about Damian. Readers are given a chance to know and understand more of Damian's character. Also, I think his character had the most transformation in this story. I think he has come a long way to being just Damian, the individual and the Damian that's half of the twin and brother to Chloe. This time, it's not just about Chloe. There is more on Damian and Ethan too. More about Damian's personality and his relationship with Chloe was explored. Ethan and Chloe's relationship also did not escape that exploration. 

I did not expect how this book ended but alas, it's not over for Chloe, Ethan and Damian yet. They still have another adventure to go to and an unfinished business to wrap up for good this time. Wow! The way the story is shaping up is totally out of the left-field. I didn't see this coming and going in this direction. And I mean that in a good way. It's totally a surprise which I absolutely like. There are a thousand and one possibilities of what will happen in the next book and I'm dying to know how it will turn out. Diana Tyler, great job on that. 

As I have said, I totally enjoyed this book better than the first one. Looking back, I did enjoy the first installment but this is way way better. I am even more riveted and undeniably invested now in the trio's quest to save Petros. I give this book 4.5/5 storms. Unlike storms, although a lot happened in this story, it was not chaotic at all. In fact, everything was made clearer to me even more. The background story was solidified, characters' histories were exposed and strengthened, and most of all, the best part is the three main characters' growth, maturity and development. It was very tangible in this book. When you look back to the first installment, these three have come a very very long way and the experiences they have gone through have shaped their characters beautifully. Although those experiences were far from pleasant, in fact, traumatic and unbelievable. I would say, character build up is the best part of this installment. It was amazingly done. It was what stood out for me.


He found it took very little guile to tempt adults toward wickedness, so long as he pandered to their selfish desires.

You talk about selfishness like it's a plague or something,  and yet everything you do is selfish.
- Diana Tyler, War of the Ashers - 


Thank you again, Diana Tyler for the ARC.


Other books in the series:

Age of the Ashes (The Petros Chronicles #1)

 




No comments:

Post a Comment